Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Salsa Verde

I'm doing some clean up with this post. I made this recipe about two months ago for our holiday party, and I wrote it down then, but I forgot to post it, partly because I didn't have a picture. (I still don't have a picture, but oh well.) It was, I think, a major improvement over my first attempt at salsa verde, and it was a big hit among the spice lovers at the party.

As with almost everything that I cook (as opposed to the things I bake), the recipe is more of a suggestion than a directive. I was fairly accurate in the description, but mixing up the amount of each vegetable isn't going to kill the sauce. Nor is adding more oil, though I liked this just fine with the tiny amount of oil that I used here. The roasting is very important, obviously.

I mostly dipped cold shrimp into this salsa, and it was very good with them, but it's also good with crudités or corn chips. Or lots of other things. It was very, very green.

Salsa Verde

12 ounces tomatillos
One medium onion
2 cloves garlic
2 jalapenos
Olive oil
One avocado
Cilantro
2 limes
Salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Prepare the vegetables: halve the tomatillos; peel and quarter the onion; peel and halve the garlic; halve the jalapenos and remove the seeds. Toss all the vegetables with a teaspoon of olive oil and put them in a small baking dish. (Or put them in the baking dish and spray them with olive oil.)

Cover the pan with foil and bake for twenty minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the vegetables cool.

Put the vegetables and any collected juices in the blender. Add a handful of cilantro and the juice of the limes and blend until smooth. Add the flesh of the avocado and blend again, until smooth. Add salt to taste.

2 Comments:

Blogger goblinbox said...

Where do you find tomatillos? Probably Mexican food stores. Dumb question.

3:53 PM  
Blogger anapestic said...

Actually, the local supermarkets usually have tomatillos. There are plenty of hispanic immigrants in the greater DC area, and that makes for much better selection at the markets. More interesting foods, too.

You could also use canned tomatillos if fresh aren't available. Just drain them first and then continue with the recipe.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home